The goal of this module is
- to learn how to be hygienic as you head towards puberty.
Ideal Group size:
Up to 30
- Chalk board and chalk, flip chart and marker pens
- two copies of the hygiene statements (one for the boys‘ group, one for the girls‘ group)
Materials for download:
How it’s done
- Divide the girls and boys into different groups with different facilitators
- Make two columns labelled ‘true’ and ‘false’ on a large piece of paper
- Give each group a statement and ask them to discuss whether it is true or false
- Get one participant from the group to come and paste the statement in the right column on the paper (‘true’ or ‘false’)
- The groups should discuss each statement and why it is true or false
- Close by highlighting that the way some people do things is not necessarily the correct way. Explain the importance of washing hands frequently, especially when sick, after using the bathroom and after coughing or sneezing into your hands. Highlight that the better personal hygiene a person has, the less chance there is that they will become sick and that they can serve as role models for the younger children.
Statements (click to expand list):